Priory Country Park takes its name comes from the Augustinian Priory that supported a monastic community here from 1164 until 1541. There is very little left of the original Priory, but stones still survive and are used within the current 'priory wall' that separates the marina from the main park.
This wall is not part of the original Priory, but makes an interesting feature for the Park. The only remaining original feature of the Priory are the fishponds, which still exist as earthworks on the other side of the marina, near Aspects Leisure Park.
These would have been used to keep fish in for use within the priory. The photograph shows one of the ponds with water back in it during the high waters in 2008, which gives an impression of how they may have looked when in use.